Job Description Visually Impaired Teacher - Special Education
Hours: Full-time, up to 30 hours/week
Department: Special Education
Qualifications: One or more of the following certifications required:
1. Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA)- Level 3.8 or higher
Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in related field required. Experience Qualifications: Two years of interpreting experience required. Skills Qualifications: Proficiency in American Sign Language (ASL)/English; ability to articulate an equivalent message from sign to voice to sign; ability to communicate clearly, both written and verbal ability to work successfully with colleagues; and ability to act as an employee of Soliant.
Primary Responsibilities: Responsible for effectively facilitating communication among Deaf and Hard of Hearing students and their hearing peers, mainstream classroom teachers, and other personnel in the school system through the use of American Sign Language and spoken English.
1. Serve as the liaison between the Deaf/Hard of Hearing (D/HH) Program and mainstream programs.
2. Refer regular education staff questions or inquires concerning the D/HH student to the D/HH case manager.
3. Interpret all mainstream classes for D/HH students.
4. Interpret for extracurricular activities in accordance with local school policies and practices as requested by supervisor.
5. Interpret during Individualized Education Program (IEP) meetings, parent conferences, mediations, and testing.
6. Participate in IEP meetings as a member of the IEP team when requested.
7. Support the needs of students as determined by the IEP.
8. Remain current in field of educational interpreting through participation in workshops, professional meetings, interaction with professional colleagues, and reading of current literature in the field.
9. Perform ongoing maintenance of current credentials and providing evidence to the LEA as requested. .
10. Clarify the role of interpreter to assist all parties concerned.
11. Maintain an impartial attitude and guard confidentiality in accordance with the Registry of Interpreters of the Deaf (RID) Code of Ethics.
12. Participate in staff duties/responsibilities in accordance with local school policies and practices.
13. Perform other duties as assigned.
Contact the hiring coordinator, Adrian Kinsey, at (770) 225-3177 or email Adrian.Kinsey@soliant.com